Saturday, January 08, 2022

Installment 4. Series of Fortunate Events. Ed

Installment 4. Series of Fortunate Events.


Way back in 2004 I made the conscious decision to teach women self defense. I knew I had many things to learn, and no idea what or how. From that point things just kinda presented themselves. I just had to take the opportunities when they were presented. There have been several. 

One of those came about after attending a couple of days of Violence Dynamics West in 2016. At the Oakland seminar I met many amazing people. One was Ed Calderon.  I got this one pic and it's terrible. Taking photos is not my thing. 

The best moments at any training is the gatherings at the end of the day’s training. It is at the after class gathering that we get to know each other. Ed was telling some tales. Later, as I researched who the guy was https://www.edsmanifesto.com/about  I thought 'wow, the stuff this guy has experienced -and seen' ðŸ˜¬ I can’t imagine the nightmares. He has a wealth of knowledge that you cannot get anywhere else but in the fray of survival of some really brutal scenarios. 

Well, I had the opportunity to take an Urban Survival class offered by Ed and Tracker Dan. It was so very insightful and informative. Especially for someone who has never really navigated the city. What to look for how to spot it, what can be used and what certain things mean or can tell you. Just so much. 

Sharing the weekend with some really great friends as well made it even more enjoyable, Adam and Ed K. It was a crazy weekend with some deadly arts and crafts project not usually shown at your typical summer camp. I found a lot of the information, backstories and the “how I discovered’ information shared quite disturbing. 

After my traditional martial art training ended, the learning about real defending began. I have learned from such a variety of people. There are many layers to keeping safe with the levels of violence one can encounter. The information gained from Ed’s seminar really opened my eyes up to many things. Again, disturbing stuff but important to be aware of. 

In a moment to seize an opportunity to learn something from a dude who has experienced a hell of a lot of incredible things in his career, I found myself in another incredible event I was fortunate enough  to be a part of. Just because I could make it to a weekend training the tide tipped in my favor to learn from other violence professionals. A professional at a different level than the usual tactical/military/LE people. Imagine that! 

Add that to my resume, I have trained with people who have worked in elite fields of violence. Again taking the chance to learn when I had the chance. It is that passion, that constant burning that keeps me guided. The drive for knowledge. 

Even if afterward I think to myself, "man, I can’t unhear any of those stories." Disturbing.


If you’re following the series.. thanks. 

No comments: